Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fashion

A few years back a Unionville friend started selling Worth, a line of very nice women's clothing. Perhaps you've been invited to one of these events? You go over to the salesperson's house and try on the clothes that she has put aside for you, peering at yourself in a full-length mirror like a model. It was always great fun because she knew what kind of clothes you needed, and what looked good on you, and would discourage you from buying something that wasn't flattering (although I refused to buy that bustier that I never would've worn). Inevitably I'd end up spending way more money than I expected, but I still wear most of the pieces and still get compliments on them (especially the tight boucle tweed jacket).
However, this is a small town, and I've subsequently discovered that another woman and I own many of the same pieces: the wool shawl, the red cotton sweater with fringed collar, and yes, even the tweed jacket. We laugh that we'll have to coordinate before attending the same event.
With regard to the jacket, she was very helpful. It had these fiddly little metal ornaments hanging from the end of the sleeves that clanked against your soup dish. "I just took them off with a pair of pliers," she advised me the other day. I went home and did the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment