Saturday, March 24, 2012

One-track mind

A dear friend spent a fair amount of time last week at New Bolton Center, where her horse underwent surgery for a sesamoid problem. He is back home now and has a veterinary nurse visiting every other day, but naturally, my friend has been beside herself with anxiety.
She phoned the other night and reported in great detail how the patient was standing, eating and behaving. In an attempt to distract her for even a moment, I told her that I had slept over at the home of a friend who is convalescing and needs a watchful eye.
"It was a very uneventful night, thank goodness," I said.
"Yes, I got up at about 2 and went out and checked on him, and he seemed alright," she said.
I gave up on further attempts to change the topic, and not for the first time had to smile to myself at how devoted people are to their horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment