Saturday, April 7, 2012

As long as you lend a hand

Saturday, June 2, is the date for the annual Home & Garden Day tour to benefit the Bayard Taylor Memorial Library.
Last week I spent a delightful evening with a few of the ladies on the library's Special Events Committee, the volunteer group that runs the tour. I had earlier committed to buy an ad in the tour program: not only does the money go to a good cause, but I also assumed it would release me from any obligations of a tour-guide nature on the day. 
Hah! I should have known better.
One of the ladies served me an ample portion of her homemade apple crisp with cranberries, topped with vanilla ice cream. It was delicious. Help yourself to more, she said graciously. I did so.
Then: WHAM!
"So where are you working at the garden tour this year?" she inquired point-blank.
I was ambushed. I hemmed. I hawed.
"I can see you're trying to make up an excuse," she observed, quite correctly.
Another of the ladies, no slouch herself when it comes to recruiting volunteers, shook her head at these take-no-prisoners tactics. She pointed out that issues her summonses via email to give her friends a chance to say no gracefully.
Long story short, it looks like I'll be seeing you at whatever house I'm assigned to on June 2. Fingers crossed for good weather!
(I am, of course, exaggerating just a bit: being a tour volunteer is good fun. And actually, I think they are still looking for parkers...)

No comments:

Post a Comment