Saturday, April 7, 2012

Devices and desires

One of the downsides of our increasing reliance on our smartphones is that if something goes wrong, we're at a total loss. On Tuesday afternoon, just after receiving an email with a giant attachment, my email app started acting up: about a second after I clicked on an email, the screen would turn black and I'd get an error message.
What to do? The young people I know were all away on spring break.
I waited to see if it would resolve itself, and I tried a couple of remedies I found online. But when neither course of action helped, I called Verizon at 6 a.m., when their troubleshooting line opens. To diagnose the problem, they said I'd have to contact them from another phone. But like many people these days, I don't have a landline anymore (I miss my old 869 phone number).
So I stopped by the Verizon Wireless store in the London Grove Village shopping center (across from Perkins on Route 41), and an enormously helpful young man solved the problem in under 3 minutes. I promised to bake him some cookies.
Now, once again, I'm available by email at home, at the gym, in my car. What a relief -- sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment