Sunday, May 13, 2012

At the races

Could the weather have been any more glorious for the Willowdale Steeplechase on Sunday? It was in the high 70s and so sunny that people had a hard time checking their smart phones: there was just too much glare on the screen. As a photographer friend said, "Today was a hard day on getting the exposures correct. Bright, harsh light."
It was a fun afternoon. The Willowdale course is set up so nicely that you can see most of the race from almost anywhere. The tailgating was great but there was a different "feel" from the other steeplechases of the season. As a friend of mine put it, there were a lot more "civilians" in attendance, not just the foxhunting and racing set who are regulars at the other races.
Opera singer Martin Hargrove did a fantastic job performing the National Anthem, and I was happy to see so many people remove their hats as a mark of respect during the Anthem (I'm old-fashioned that way).
Thank you to everyone who fed and watered me, and to the organizers for sending me a press pass! Much appreciated.
Later that day I was at the Four Dogs Tavern in Marshallton, and between the post-race partiers and the Mother's Day crowd, I've never seen it so crowded. "Kind of busy, huh!" I said to a worker who was taking a break in the alley outside the kitchen. He turned to me with a battle-weary stare. "It was insane," he said slowly. 
Postscript: It's the morning after, and I can tell you that Banana Boat SPF 100 sunblock really works.

No comments:

Post a Comment