Friday, May 18, 2012

Nature notes

I foolishly left my car windows open yesterday and came out later in the day to find a sulfur-yellow layer of dust coating the black dashboard. It's pollen from the pine trees and the walnut, and between that and the pungent multiflora rose just coming into bloom, allergy sufferers must be miserable.
I noticed a mound of sawdust near my garage door and saw this carpenter bee hard at work, drilling a perfectly round hole in the wood siding. I haven't had much of a stink bug problem this spring, but one friend reports that they are as bad as ever at her Newlin farm. 
My hummingbird feeder is out and ready in the back yard. I spotted one hummingbird at it last week, and while tying up the daffodil leaves yesterday I heard another, that unmistakeable quick buzzing noise, but didn't see him or her.

No comments:

Post a Comment