Tuesday, July 3, 2012

On the grid

The other night at dinner, my mother posed a question to me.
This is not uncommon. I believe I have previously described my mother as the world's most inquisitive person, a characterization that no one in the family or the larger community would dispute.
Anyhow, she wanted me to find out what those yellow grids are that are showing up on roadside utility poles.
I accepted the challenge (not that I had any choice).
So on the way home from dinner I was on the lookout for these yellow grids, and I found one in Unionville, pulled off a little bit up the road and walked back to snap a quick photo.
While I was returning to the car, two friends happened to be driving by and stopped, fearing I had car trouble and might need a ride.
I explained what I was doing and -- just because this is how things work in my world --  the husband knew what the yellow grids were, because PECO had just installed a bunch of them near his farm, and he had asked them the same question.
They are safety reflectors.
I emailed my long-suffering father on the spot and told him the answer so he could relay it to Mum.
"Thank you," he wrote back. "Now I can get some sleep."

No comments:

Post a Comment