Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Sick bay

It seems like every other person around these parts was sick over the holidays. I heard miserable tales of digestive ailments and upper respiratory tract infections, even among usually hardy souls, and a nurse friend says she has never seen so many people sick with the flu. I've been unscathed so far, but I've been washing my hands the instant I get home.
One young friend's GI bug hit her acutely while she was halfway through a mint julep. Now she fears she'll forever associate that festive concoction with the sleepless night that followed. She ended up needing two bags of IV saline for rehydration.
In one scary local instance, a family who thought they had flu turned out to have carbon monoxide poisoning! Fortunately they are OK. They sat in the back of an ambulance being treated with oxygen while the fire company aired out their house.

No comments:

Post a Comment