Sunday, February 17, 2013

There is hope!

In last week's column I told you a story about two surly young boys at the Y and bemoaned the state of manners in the world today. So you can imagine how much it warmed my heart when one of the participants in the Kennett Square Junior Cotillion, a generations-old program, told me that in Week 1 he learned about making introductions, shaking hands, and correct buffet behavior (put only one piece on your plate and then move along). And in the dancing portion of the class they learned the salsa! I can't wait to hear about Week 2. His mother showed me a photograph of her son looking extremely smart in his Cotillion outfit: the traditional blue blazer, khaki trousers and tie. The program runs for six weeks at the Kennett Square Country Club.
A friend of mine who grew up around here did Cotillion when she was young and to this day frequently comments, when confronted with a glaring example of rude behavior, "I'm telling you: Cotillion for all." Excellent advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment