Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The World of Wayne

A writer pal of mine was assigned to do a story about the Main Line town of Wayne and was dragging his feet about actually visiting the place, so I packed him, his notebook and his camera into the car on Saturday afternoon we headed northeast.
Charming town! Lots of little coffee shops, a French patisserie called Aux Petits Delices (I had an amazing mocha eclair), a nice used bookstore called The Readers' Forum with guess-the-book opening lines taped on its front window, "Out There Outfitters," a clothing store I'm going to return to when I'm on my own, a couple of do-it-yourself art places like the new one in Kennett, the venerable Anthony Wayne movie theater (where as a teenager I saw "Barry Lyndon" and "2001"), Wayne Jewelers (some adorable French provincial dinnerware in the display window; also some lovely rubies), and a watch shop, Whittle's Watch Works, that specializes in fixing my obscure type of watch (YAY! It has needed a battery for a while now).
The Women's Exchange consignment shop is still there; every single time we drove past as kids, my father would declare he was going to trade my mother in "for a new model."
We had a late lunch at Teresa's: mussels and pommes frites with Chimay white ale; refreshingly, there were no TVs in the place, even though it's March Madness season.
I should add that Wayne also boasts an Anthropologie clothing store, the suburban branch of the White Dog Cafe, Margaret Kuo's restaurant, and a Lululemon Athletica shop.
My only disappointment was that Wayne Toy Town, a fixture of my childhood, is no longer there. They always had a great selection of Troll dolls (and my brother fondly remembers the Corgi toys).

No comments:

Post a Comment