Saturday, May 18, 2013

Over the dam

Thanks to the wonders of the Internet, my 1950 postcard of the Conowingo Dam is going to be part of a talk at the Smithsonian Institution!
"Explain yourself, Tilda!" you demand.
The father of my late (and much-missed by all of us) "significant other" John was a DuPont engineer who in the 1920s helped to construct the hydroelectric dam, which spans the Susquehanna River in Maryland. He and his wife paid a visit to the dam on Feb. 12, 1950, and purchased a postcard as a souvenir.
Flash-forward to 2005: After their deaths and John's death, I inherited all the family scrapbooks, a treasure-trove of snapshots, memorabilia, and details of Eastern Shore farm life in the mid-20th century. In March 2012, when I was writing a blog entry about the bald eagles at the dam, I remembered the postcard, scanned it and used it to illustrate the item.
So on Friday evening, more than 63 years after that visit, I received this e-mail from J. Patrick Megonigal, Senior Scientist & Deputy Director at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center in Edgewater, Maryland:
"Tilda, I am writing for permission to use an image you posted on your blog: a post card of the Conowingo Dam. I will be talking about the dam in a speech to the Smithsonian Institution on Monday (20 May) and would like to use it to illustrate the dam. The speech is called the “Coastal Anthropocene” and it involves sediments running into the Chesapeake Bay. I believe my speech will be posted online for posterity."
Is that cool or what?! Of course, I immediately gave him permission to do so.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment