Wednesday, May 15, 2013

In the garden

Last night I had a great time walking around the garden at my parents' new house, identifying plants and trees. The previous owner was a spectacular gardener, and because this is the first spring my folks have lived in the house, it has been an adventure watching what's blooming and what wildlife is visiting (lots of birds, fox, deer, and a truly massive groundhog). My mother and I were delighted to find lots of jack-in-the-pulpits, and she didn't realize that there was a sweet gum tree in the front yard.
Back here, I'm trying a thunbergia (Black-Eyed Susan Vine) as my climbing vine this year, and so far so good: I planted it last week and already I've had to tie its little tendrils up twice as it starts to encircle the lamp-post. Last year's moon-vine was wonderful, but it didn't flower until the very end of the summer. This one is supposed to blossom earlier.
No signs of pumpkin sprouts yet. I'll give them another week before I replant. The four types of sunflowers are coming up like gangbusters, though!

2 comments:

  1. Birmingham TownshipMay 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM

    Yellow or white or pinkish? BT loves this plant. Alata has a cousin T. grandiflora who has huge sky blue flowers and is just as easy to grow, a real heart-throb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yellow with black centers, very conventional. We'll see how it does. At my parents' house the previous owner has shown herself to be a master of succession planting in both sun and shade. So nice to have it done for you!

    ReplyDelete