Sunday, May 12, 2013

I am so sorry!

Readers, I want to apologize and explain something that appeared in my column in last week's Kennett Paper.
I wrote about the overly revealing prom dresses that some girls were wearing this year and how standards have fallen since I was in high school. Unfortunately, the Kennett Paper editor chose to illustrate the item with a photo depicting four lovely and appropriately dressed young women who could serve as absolute models of good taste. The photo was NOT part of my blog and was put in without my knowledge after I submitted the column. In no way should readers assume that my item referred IN ANY WAY to these young women.
My heart sank the instant I saw the photo in the paper, but I know it was nothing compared to what the girls and their families and friends felt. I'm told they are honor students and involved in all kinds of volunteer activities. I am so very sorry that the paper ran this photo, and I am very cross with my editor for doing so.

2 comments:

  1. Birmingham TownshipMay 12, 2013 at 8:04 PM

    Your readers realized immediately what had happened. The students in the photo can be assured that no one familiar with your blog would have thought that photo was anything but an editor's error.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The students in that photo are most likely minors. What is the average age of readers to this blog? I doubt they are teenager. What about the readers that are not familar with the blog that only read the printed version in the paper? I am sure those students were faced with ridicule and embarrasment by the assumptions that were made by their peers after seeing the photo above the written article.

      Delete