Sunday, July 28, 2013

Spanning the globe


My proofreading project this week is a book on Ancient Greece. I was sitting there on the sofa reading about the Peloponnesian War when the lively New Orleans song "Iko Iko" started running through my head. I soon realized why: the author often referred to "oikos" (Greek for household) and it must've been having a subconscious impact.
Here's something else I learned other than that the Thirty Years Peace between Athens and Sparta didn't last nearly that long. I was reviewing the reference list for one chapter and saw the entry "Oxford Readings in Aristophanes" by Erich Segal. This couldn't possibly be the same Erich Segal who wrote "Love Story," the tearjerker 1970 book, could it? Yes! It turns out that Professor Segal was also a respected classics scholar who received his bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees from Harvard and went on to teach at Yale (which is where he was teaching when the book and movie of "Love Story" came out), Princeton, Oxford and the University of London. (He also wrote the screenplay for the Beatles' "Yellow Submarine.")

2 comments:

  1. Yale, when he wrote LS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fan, I'll fix it right now. Wikipedia had just Harvard. Ego tibi maximus gratias ago! (I have little Latin, less Greek.)

    ReplyDelete