Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Wolf's Hollow

I've mentioned before how much I like Wolf's Hollow County Park, and I urge you to visit. It's about a half-hour west of Unionville, near the Moccasin Run Golf Club, off Highland Road just west of Route 41.
I stopped by on a warm day last weekend and walked the 1.35-mile Upper Wolf's Hollow Trail (there is an excellent map online). It makes a loop, and I arbitrarily opted to start by heading west from the parking lot. That turned out to be the easy choice, because the trail makes a steep, lengthy drop-off down to the creek. Next time I'm going to reverse direction and take the uphill route!
There are lots of other well-marked trails through the park, with spectacular views. And if you enjoy spotting flora like I do there are unusual lichens, mushrooms and mosses all through the woods. Don't miss the clever butterfly garden in the parking lot.
If you're out that way, there's an excellent roadside market, Maple Arch Farm, on Route 10 at Friendship Church Road. I was there this morning and bought two heads of organic lettuce, a container of apple cider doughnuts and a small peach pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment