Sunday, November 24, 2013

Best Society

A faithful Newlin Township reader wrote a kind note to me about last week's "Newlyweds" item, thanking me for following the traditional etiquette of offering "best wishes" to the bride and "congratulations" to the groom. Her note attracted some comment when I posted it on Tilda's Facebook page. One reader wondered what she should say to a newly married gay couple (we agreed that a hearty "mazel tov" was highly suitable for all occasions and wouldn't tie up the receiving line).
Continuing the etiquette thread, another reader noted with frustration that people don't seem to RSVP to invitations anymore, which makes it really difficult to be a well-prepared hostess in terms of food, drink, seating and such. I've heard this from many hostesses. One woman I know is married to a prominent businessman and they socialize and entertain a great deal. She told me once that her practice is to respond to invitations, accept or decline, as soon as she receives them. It's kind of like the "touch each piece of paper only once" advice that organizers swear by.

No comments:

Post a Comment