Thursday, February 20, 2014

Heart and sole

My friend was running late for our dinner date at Perkins the other night, so I waited in the lobby. After a while I looked outside -- and there he was, waiting outside the glass door.
"Didn't you see me?" I asked. He said he had glanced in but could see only the lower part of somebody's legs. And since those legs weren't clad in the knee-high sturdy brown leather boots that he's seen me wearing all but continuously this winter, he didn't bother to investigate any farther. We had a good laugh: as it happened, I was wearing my low Bean gumshoes for a change.
I do take my boots off occasionally, honest I do, but when merely refilling the backyard bird feeders means tromping over downed branches and through a good six inches or more of snow, tall boots really do come in handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment