Friday, February 7, 2014

High energy

In the space of a few hours this afternoon, I managed to have two peculiar conversations with strangers.
At the jammed coffee shop, a minister (judging from his clothes) was making small talk with the barista. When she said all she wanted was for her electric power to come back on at home, he quoted the old Melanie song, "I got a brand-new pair of roller skates, you got a brand-new key."
"Oh my gosh," I said. "Remember that song?"
Pleased, he said he often quotes that lyric when he wants to make a metaphorical point. What exactly that point would be, I wasn't sure. Perhaps his parishioners have figured it out.
An hour later, in another line, I was chatting with a wiry, middle-aged guy, and he told me he plans to escape the wintry weather by going to New Orleans for his birthday, Feb. 14.
I asked him if it's ever been a problem having his birthday fall on Valentine's Day.
He thought for a moment. No, he said -- but then again he never considers a birthday properly commemorated unless the celebration goes on for longer than one day.
"Rock and roll, baby," he said with a grin. "Keeps you young."
I'm assuming he meant more than staying up past midnight to watch the Mushroom Drop on New Year's Eve.


No comments:

Post a Comment