Thursday, February 6, 2014

Well done, CVS

CVS drugstores have earned themselves a new customer: me. The company announced that by October 1 they will no longer be selling cigarettes at their stores.
Many of you know that nine years ago I lost a beloved friend, a 52-year-old man, to smoking-related lung cancer. Just maybe CVS' gutsy move will dissuade somebody from taking up this addiction -- for an addiction is exactly what it is.
A high-school friend put it well:
"CVS is really to be commended. I am not so fragile that I will smoke again, but a kid or someone who recently quit will reap great rewards from this decision. I smoked heavily for 30 years (because I was stupid). I quit cold turkey 8 years ago. A few weeks ago I was in a CVS waiting in line and I was mesmerized by the panorama of colorful cigarette packs with great logos and deals for buying multiple packs.I instantly spotted "my" brand.
Just standing there daydreaming, in the briefest moment, I was inhaling the best cigarette ever. The Nicotine hit beat any drug I ever tried. The exhale was crystalline. Ahhhhh!
Nobody hates cigarettes more than an ex-smoker."
My friend owns a catering company: "The food and beverage industry harbors tons of smokers. We work intensely to prepare and serve 1 great meal, take a moment,smoke one, and begin the process again. The adrenaline rush is fantastic but the need to repeat the rush is a terrible health problem. My staff has every corporate incentive to quit, so far, I have -0- takers."

No comments:

Post a Comment