Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Small town, big money

An early-20th-century postcard of Doe Run Village here in West Marlborough showed up on eBay last week and ended up selling for $125! I got out when the bidding went over $45. It's a charming card ("neat old rural view," read the eBay seller's description): it shows two men walking along Route 82 (then a dirt road). Some of the buildings shown are still there today.
I'm told the image comes up occasionally on eBay; let's hope I don't get into the middle of such a fierce bidding war next time!

1 comment:

  1. Wendy, I showed my copy of the the postcard, about 35 years ago, to a life long township resident. As told to me by a man who personally knew both of the men crossing Route 82, the late Charley Elvin, they are Thad Herr and Edwin Buffington.

    ReplyDelete