Saturday, August 30, 2014

CHESHIRE KENNELS: Cupcakes, donuts and coffee with the foxhunters


On Saturday morning I stopped in for an excellent cup of coffee at the Masters' Breakfast (the "Masters" being Sanna Neilson, Mike Ledyard and Anne Moran), held on the Kennel Lawn, after the Cheshire foxhunters returned from their final morning of hound exercise. The 8:30 breakfast was essentially mid-day for the foxhunters, an eager and dedicated bunch who rise well before dawn to get themselves and their horses ready for the morning's sport.
It was great to chat with friends and neighbors, not only the foxhunters but also their family members and various well-wishers. One fellow said he drops off his daughter and then just sits in his truck enjoying the early morning peace and quiet.
I had an interesting conversation about the Newlin horse-farm controversy (see elsewhere in this column for more details on that) and how other townships regulate equestrian operations (or don't).
Another neighbor was telling me about a homeopathic poison ivy remedy he swears by -- he says it even prevents the itchy rash. (Too late for me, alas: I have the worst case I've had all summer.)
In other local equestrian news, I just got my invitation to the Pennsylvania Hunt Cup, which this year will be Sunday, November 2, right here in West Marlborough.

No comments:

Post a Comment