Wednesday, August 27, 2014

THE INTERNET: Instructions that were actually helpful

I almost can't believe I'm writing this, given that most online instructions for setting up electronic devices are incomprehensible ... but Verizon did a great job of walking me through the upgrade to my Wifi router.
My heart sank when I received their email about upgrading my wireless router to WPA2 (apparently that offers better security), but I went to their link and there was a list of clear, jargon-free, acronym-free, step-by-step instructions, complete with illustrations. I know; how incredible is that!
They didn't use terms like "system tray" or "protocol" (although I did see "ASCII" and "hex"; huh?); they just told me what to type in and what to click.
And best of all, the instructions worked! I now have a super-secure Wifi system with a new password, so don't even think about trying to poach.
Well done, Verizon. Now, about all that junk mail you keep sending me...

No comments:

Post a Comment