Thursday, October 30, 2014

PUMPKINS: The Great Pumpkin comes to Chadds Ford

An athletic family member of mine is vigilant about eating right, and high on his list of approved foods are pumpkin seeds. Knowing that I grew an excellent crop of pumpkins this summer, he asked if I could save him the seeds.
Sure, I said. But then I thought it through and realized that my kitchen would be full of slimy pumpkin goo, every cookie sheet in the house would be full of drying seeds, and I'd have dozens of rotting empty rinds to dispose of.
A friend and a neighbor came up with a brilliant solution: Take him the seeds in their original packaging.
So for the past three days I have been delivering pumpkins to his house while he's at work. The first day I put them around his mailbox.
The second day I lined his driveway.
The third and final day I had intended, in a grand gesture, to delineate the first letter of our surname in pumpkins on his turnaround -- but I noticed he'd lined all the vegetables up neatly next to his house, so I just added a dozen more to the crowd.
He texted me, saying that he now believes in the Great Pumpkin with all his heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment