Friday, January 16, 2015

POLITICS: Who's going to run for office in the future?

I'm editing a book that paints a gloomy portrait indeed of the future of American politics. Based on the authors' survey, high school and college youths have no interest in running for office. They are completely turned off to politics and don't discuss current events with their family or friends, preferring to focus on movies, video games and music. The authors blame the media (for focusing on the negative), politicians (for behaving badly) and schools (for not including current events in the curriculum).
I was appalled to read this. I don't doubt the authors' data, but it certainly was not my experience growing up. My parents voted in every election (as do I). Current events were a conversational staple, with my peers, in the classroom and around the dinner table. In fact, I enjoyed debating so much (my poor father!) that I thought for a while I would become a lawyer when I grew up. (I didn't. The world is a better place as a result, trust me.)
I mentioned the book's disturbing findings to a few friends with teenage kids, and they assured me that dinner tables are still a hotbed of family discussion. The youths are very aware of what's going on in the world.
I'm glad to hear it. How can people NOT talk politics?

No comments:

Post a Comment