Saturday, October 17, 2015

DENTISTS: An unpalatable policy

If you read this column regularly, you know that I'm not crazy about making changes in my life. For instance, when I see a "new and improved" label on my cereal or detergent, I'm not a happy camper.
But I said good-bye without a bit of hesitation when my dentist, whom I've seen faithfully twice a year since the late 1980s, announced that I was no longer welcome in the practice unless I submitted to yearly x-rays.
I've had one cavity in my entire life, and suddenly they claim they really can't treat me adequately without annual x-rays? Hmmmm. And they found that one tiny cavity how? By poking it with a pointy stick. No x-rays involved.
It makes you wonder what's behind this new and apparently widespread policy: concerns about liability and lawsuits? dicta from insurance companies? Even the American Dental Association recommends x-rays only every two or three years for those of us with good teeth and good hygiene.
Not to mention the radiation involved, and, yes, the cost. I absolutely don't mind spending time and money on preventive care that I consider valuable. But I think this is unnecessary overtreatment, and the whole situation makes me feel used. I also don't like the fact that the dentist delegated to the hygienist the onerous task of informing patients about this policy change.
As consumers we're told that an important part of containing health-care costs in this country is asking questions and making informed choices about treatment rather than submitting to cookie-cutter-style medicine (or dentistry). Well, that's what I'm doing.
Let me know if your dentist's office has instituted a similar policy, and what your reaction is. Based on the reactions I got on social media, dentists are at risk of losing a lot of patients over this:
1. "We left our family dentist for the same reason; also because so many of the heavily pitched services seemed to be designed to generate income."
2. "They did same thing at my dentist's office. I told them I would not come in if they required that. Dentist agreed that it would not be required. Really, once a year is just too much!"
3. "My longtime dentist retired a few years ago. The new guy installed tons of new equipment, started charging more for everything, and insists on panoramic x-rays, which I have avoided thus far. I'm looking for a new dentist before my next appointment, too."
4. "Sad when Drs and dentists do hard-sell one-size-fits-all work," said another friend, whose husband and kids joined her in leaving their dentist after he insisted on yearly x-rays. "We don't go to a dentist to pay off the equipment debt," she said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment