Friday, October 16, 2015

SPORTS: A scholar, an athlete and a gentleman

Yesterday afternoon I watched the Young Relative win a Patton Middle School athletic competition (I don't want to "out" him by being more specific). He did an awesome job, came up and gave me a sweaty hug after the race, and I didn't think any one human being could possibly be any prouder of another -- until I saw him go up to the boy who finished behind him, shake his hand, and say, "You gave me a run for my money!"
Sportsmanship is alive and well, at least in the amateur leagues.
While walking across the field to the competition, I passed the middle-school football team practicing. They had to do a bear crawl up a steep slope, in their full gear, while the coaches stood at the top watching.
"Come on!" called out one coach. "You can dog it when you're old!"
I can't wait to share that one with my Y teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment