Saturday, October 3, 2015

LIBRARY: Study shows a profound mistrust of the library board

I've gotten some complaints that I've been too hard on the Bayard Taylor Library board: after all, they're volunteers, doing their best, the argument goes.
Compared to some of the comments made in the feasibility study commissioned by the Board, I sound like a fawning yes-woman.
"People who move into an area have their own opinions and seek to impose their beliefs without much in-depth sensitivity as to what the BTL meant to the community. They don't have a clue," said one person who was interviewed.
"People love a winner. And the library has loser written all over it," commented another.
Even the firm that did the survey, MacIntyre Associates, said, in an underlined paragraph, "The comments we recorded point to a perception among respondents that the Kennett Public Library's volunteer leadership has not kept in touch with its base of support and has not partnered with the communities it serves to fulfill the "public" part of its mission and its societal contract."
Perhaps the most jaw-dropping sentence came in the recommendations section of the report: "The current Board President and Vice-President need to consider withdrawing from Board leadership."
Wow. That's a gutsy statement to make to the people who are signing your paycheck!
The Board, in its cover letter to the study, said that people who wanted to read the report would have to come into the library and read a copy that was there; it emailed a copy only to the municipalities in its service area. So much for the consultant's strong recommendation for "a massive communications strategy" with the public! However, I managed to get a PDF copy and put it up online for your convenience: https://www.scribd.com/doc/283377453/Kennett-Public-Library-Feasibility-Study-Redacted
(The "redacted" means they took out people's names.)

Oh, the irony! The Board is trying to strip "Bayard Taylor" from the Library's name. 

6 comments:

  1. Bravo for making this report widely available. Haven't read it yet, but right now I'm actually in favor of the name change and the relocation. Thirty-five-year resident who never found the current library useful or relevant, or the staff particularly helpful, to a small business owner. I haven't stepped foot in there in a decade or more. Guess I'm hoping a whole new brand and location will bring a new attitude as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brand change won't do anything for the sour dispositions of those at the front desk.

      Delete
    2. Hey, *I* used to work behind the desk! :-) But I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience.

      Delete
  2. You and I are in agreement on two of these three items: the importance of making the report public and the relocation. The name change we can debate! Thank you so much for your support -- and for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the fact that the "board members are volunteer" is irrelevant. They were chosen to sit on the board for the professional skills that they could bring to the table.
    I work in several capacities as a volunteer - I still work just as hard as when I received a paycheck and I still try to do what's right. This board, volunteer or not, has to start opening their eyes, telling the truth without spin, and listening to the public. At this time, they are years away from a capital campaign much less a new library. Stop the Spin! and get to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well said. I agree with you completely: I don't expect to be given one bit of slack in my volunteer responsibilities! "Oh, I'm just a volunteer; so what if I misplaced that check?" NOT! Thanks for writing.

      Delete