Saturday, November 21, 2015

KENNETT: Lunch at the meetinghouse

Among their many virtues, Quakers have a reputation as being astute businesspeople. This was certainly on display on Saturday, when I stopped by the "Quaker Fare" luncheon at Kennett Friends Meeting. I explained to the lady selling tickets at the door that I was there just to say hi; for scheduling reasons my family was celebrating Thanksgiving on Saturday, so I couldn't fill up on the chicken salad sandwiches and other goodies that this annual event is known for.
She didn't miss a beat.
"Then how about a quart of mushroom soup to go?" she suggested.
Sold!
And of course I got to socialize, too: I had a nice time chatting with Kennett Township supervisor Scudder Stevens, Kevin Arnold, Tish Dalton, Jessie Cocks, and Jean Tennant, who is as energetic as always at age 92. She said her husband, soon to turn 100, is even more youthful: "If you called me up and he answered the phone, you would think it was a kid who answered! Well, except that he's very serious."

No comments:

Post a Comment