Thursday, February 11, 2016

THE Y: A nontraditional audience

I was proud to be part of an amazing exercise class the other night at the Kennett Area YMCA.
Our cardio class -- one of the toughest the Y offers, if I do say so myself -- starts at 7:45 p.m., and as usual there were high-school kids shooting hoops in the gym up until the last minute.
The instructor and I were watching them horsing around and commented that it was great to see kids being active instead of staring at a device.
Then she said, "I have an idea."
She walked over to the stereo, donned her wireless mike and announced to the dozen or so boys that they had an option: they could leave, or they could stay and participate in class.
"I can guarantee that I'll have you huffing and puffing," she challenged them.
After some sidelong looks at each other, the boys stayed -- and they gave it their all.
When the moves got a little complicated, the instructor told them how hot they'd be on the dance floor, making them smile. When the choreography called for running around, pivoting, and leaping from side to side, she assured them this would greatly enhance their basketball skills.
What great sports the boys were! And polite, too! Hats off to all of them, and to our instructor for thinking outside the box to be welcoming and inclusive. I really hope they come back, because they added an indescribable energy to class.

No comments:

Post a Comment