Wednesday, March 30, 2016

RECALLS: A different car completely!


A recent incident made me realize how accustomed we've become to have Big Brother looking over our shoulder.
Since 2012 I've been receiving occasional form letters from my auto manufacturer about various recalls. None of it sounded too serious, so I just stuffed all of it into the glove compartment.
Then they started upping their game, leaving messages saying that according to their records I hadn't had the work done yet and was jeopardizing the safety of my loved ones. I programmed my phone to block them.
Then came the most recent letter: a problem with the airbag inflating mechanism that could send shrapnel flying at you at high speed (you've probably read about this in the papers; it's a very widespread problem). Sick of the calls and letters, I gave in and called my dealership to get it fixed.
Well, it turns out they won't have the parts until June. I said fine, I'll wait.
Then I asked the woman in the service department about all the other recalls they've been pestering me about for years. She was baffled, saying no other recalls had ever been issued on my vehicle.
I opened the glove box and started looking at the stack of papers -- and it turns out they were all for the 2002 vehicle I had owned before this one!
I just assumed that some cog in "the system" would have updated the ownership information when I sold the car back in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment