Sunday, April 24, 2016

STAIR WIT: People can be amusing

I admire quick-witted people, mostly because I am not one of them. If I think of a clever remark at all, it's while I'm leaving (that's why it's called "stair wit"), or even the next day. I was a witness to two examples this past week.
On Wednesday evening we were walking into Sake Hana, the Asian restaurant in Avondale, and the host asked, "Three?" (Another fellow came in just behind us.)
"Just two," I said to the host. Then I turned to the man behind us: "Unless you want to join us?"
"Absolutely," he said, not missing a beat. "If you're buying, I'm there."
Turns out he was just picking up his family's takeout order, so he didn't sit down wit us.
And then late Saturday evening we were returning home from an Earth Day party in Guthriesville. We made a quick stop at the Wawa on Lincoln Highway across from the Thorndale train station. We got our drinks and headed back to the car, passing a group of youths sitting in their car in the parking lot. We heard an announcement on the loudspeaker from the train platform.
"Thorndale," commented my companion as we were walking out of the store.
"Yeah, it is," said one of the youths -- simply, cheerfully, with pride. It was wholly unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment