Thursday, December 6, 2018

HARD NEWS: Rocks by Lars

Kennett Square friend Lars Farmer has turned a hobby -- painting and hiding rocks around town -- into an avocation -- decorating, shellacking and selling custom rocks. On his Facebook page, I saw one of his creations, an oval rock painted with the lighted mushroom that is dropped every New Year's Eve in the middle of town. I thought it would be a perfect gift for an overseas friend (I try to send him something Kennett-related every Christmas). I contacted Lars, and he told me he could print a label with a personalized message and paste it on the back.
When I picked up the completed rock at his house the next day, Lars gave me a tour of his basement studio. Outside the door were two boxes of flat, smooth river stones that he had just collected. Inside on tables were rocks of various sizes, painted with everything from flowers to Kennett scenes to a fully loaded shish kebab. He's been doing a lot of seasonal designs like wreaths and pine cones; one page of his tablet was full of poinsettia sketches.
You can contact Lars through Facebook (LarsRocks) or by phone (302-299-2111). My personalized rock cost $25.

This is the rock that Lars made. Fork for scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment