Thursday, December 6, 2018

RADIO: 1980s marathon

WXPN, the Philadelphia radio station, has spent the past 2 weeks playing songs from the 1980s, in alphabetical order. As I'm typing they are up to the letter "S." Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching Me," which I heard this morning, seemed prescient with its lyrics "People call me on the phone I'm trying to avoid. Well, can the people on TV see me, or am I just paranoid?": after all, in the 1980s we didn't have cell phones, Facebook, or much of the technology we take for granted now.
I shared the playlist with a buddy in Havering, England, and he texted me that he was listening to it at that very moment, via Alexa and TuneIn Radio. Pretty amazing, considering the FM station on my car radio went all fuzzy as I drove through downtown Kennett.

No comments:

Post a Comment