Tuesday, April 7, 2020

SHOPPING: It has become an adventure

The Giant supermarket has now made the aisles one-way, with blue arrows taped to the floor indicating the preferred direction of flow. My question is this: Who are these super-organized people who can do their shopping by going up one aisle and down the next in sequence without ever needing to backtrack? 
Today, for instance, the kind of Dunkin' Donuts coffee that Dearest Partner and I both like was out of stock. I remembered seeing Eight O'Clock coffee, an acceptable alternative, a few aisles prior, so I had to double back and travel against the arrows. An employee (who, by the way, was not masked) rebuked me for doing so.
I understand that the store managers are, of course, doing everything they can to keep people away from each other, but it seems to me that shoppers still pass each other while traveling the same direction in the aisle, and they are just as close to each other as if they were traveling in opposite directions.
One bright spot in today's shopping trip was seeing Steve Goddard. Steve and his wife, Marna, are the namesakes of London Grove's Goddard Park (which is being especially well used these days). Steve pretended not to recognize me behind my scarf.

No comments:

Post a Comment