Wednesday, February 9, 2011

As I remember him

If there's a Victorian mansion somewhere in the afterlife, it now has a new caretaker. Ted Marvin spent his life looking after Dunleigh Castle, his rambling home across Street Road from New Bolton Center, and he died there on Feb. 5. In his healthier years Ted was a generous host, an artist, a musician and a very good tennis player. He was a talented and devoted gardener -- perhaps you noticed the towering castor-bean plants by the gateposts flanking the driveway -- and several unusual specimens in my own garden came from Dunleigh. One can only wonder what will happen to the property without Ted there to repair the roof, haul the coal, and mow the lawn. Condolences to his friends and family.

4 comments:

  1. This is one of the nicest tributes I can imagine to a complicated and inspirational friend, and I believe he would have appreciated it as much as I did. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the blog you wrote on my friend Ted.
    He was a dear friend of mines. Ted was very special to me. He was unique(er), compationate loving friend to myself and all who knew him.
    I met him through a friend and became enthralled by the way he enjoyed the beauty of the land, the trees and the fireflies. When he called the house the first thing he would say was "hello their" I enjoyed that salutation. The last thing he said to me was "he would cook us dinner" Ted I am still waiting on that dinner :). Ted you would be surely missed. Thank you Ted for being my friend.
    Lucy Meade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy, I can hear him saying that: "Hello there." Thanks for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete