Thursday, August 25, 2011

The earth didn't move

Forgive Tilda if she is slightly peeved ... but she completely missed the earthquake! I was out running errands; first I popped by the Kennett library to pick up some DVDs and then I went to Baily's Dairy in Pocopson. As soon as I left Baily's with my milk and peaches, my cell phone rang. It was my reporter pal Mike calling from West Chester to find out if the quake had hit Unionville.
I told him I certainly hadn't noticed anything, but I would find out.
What I did feel was a sinking sensation that I had totally missed a Really Newsworthy Event.
Sure enough, I stopped by a Unionville office on the way home.
"Did you feel it?!" one of the staffers asked without preamble as I walked in.
Another arrived a few minutes later in a state of breathless excitement; she'd been shopping at Walmart over her lunch break and felt the trembling.
The hideous sinking sensation continued as I read on Facebook a stream of juicy earthquake stories from not only Chester County friends but also those as far away as Asheville, Oneida, NY, and Wilkes-Barre.
Several friends compared the sensation to the vibration from a washing machine on spin cycle. Another said it felt like a heavy truck flying by, or workers on the roof. 
Or, as one Kennett friend summarized: "Was way cool!" (Yeah. Thanks for sharing, Karen.)
But I took comfort in the fact that there were several of us who, like me, were in cars, or outside, and missed it. So unfair!
It seems that most people's pets, if they reacted at all, were simply startled by the quake. But a family member's cat seemed to sense that it was coming: just before the quake she flattened herself on the kitchen floor, as low as possible, and looked utterly terrified.

No comments:

Post a Comment