Thursday, August 25, 2011

More fungus

Have you noticed the fascinating fungi that have been springing up with all this rain? A bright-orange dog stinkhorn, probably eight inches tall, arose overnight in the middle of my nasturtiums. A plethora of puffballs, from barely-there to saucer size, are scattered around the lawn in places I've never seen them before.
At a friend's farm a circle of picture-perfect toadstools surrounds a maple tree; a bearded gnome would look perfectly at home. And I spotted some perfectly white little nubbins just starting to sprout in her manure pit; the mature fungus resembled a sea urchin.
And while we're talking about growing things, let me take this opportunity to commend Burpee for its "Mammoth" brand of sunflower seeds. My sunflowers this summer are beautiful, and without question the tallest I've ever grown. I would guess some of them are 12 feet tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment