Saturday, August 27, 2011

Life in the States

I was talking this morning with my friend George, who lives on the south coast of England, and not for the first time he expressed disbelief that anyone can live in our American climate: first the earthquake on Tuesday, and then a pending hurricane!
He was astonished when I told him that people were camping out at Lowe's for generators, waiting in line for gas (I translated for him: "queuing for petrol"), and stocking up on water, batteries, ice, cash, and food that doesn't need refrigeration, all the suggested emergency preparedness stuff. Apparently they don't have sustained power outages over there.
George later said he mentioned this at his workplace and a lively conversation ensued. I think that many of the residents of Portsmouth must now think that we Americans are a bunch of hardy pioneers in the wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment