Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Something in the water

We live in an area where horses are so popular that even if you don't ride, you probably have friends who do, or you see folks wearing their muddy boots at the post office.
I got a reminder of how deeply we internalize the equestrian lifestyle last Saturday when I was helping a friend settle into his new apartment. After we made a list of kitchen items he needed, I looked at my watch and saw that it was close to lunchtime.
"Why don't we head to Bed Bath & Beyond before people get back from hunting," I suggested.
There was a pause.
"Tilda," he said patiently. "We're in Exton."
I shared this story with some avid foxhunting friends, who understood completely. When a horse belonging to one of them became lame, Saturday morning loomed like a terra incognita because for years, every Saturday in the winter had involved hunting.
(Speaking of Bed Bath & Beyond: Their coupons do not expire! My friend bought seven items and used seven 20%-off coupons, all but two well past their sell-by date.)

No comments:

Post a Comment