Saturday, May 26, 2012

Perfect Preview Party

What a fabulous party the Brandywine River Museum volunteers threw on Friday evening to kick off the annual antique show! But we reporters are supposed to supply readers with telling details rather than just giving our opinions, so here goes:
1. The food: Mini-Reuben sandwiches and crab cakes. Bacon-wrapped scallops. Turkey, roast beef and sushi stations. Fingerling potatoes and green beans. Meatballs. Grapes with gorgonzola and walnuts. Spinach triangles. Mini-quiches. Honey cake. Peanut butter and chocolate brownies. Cherry cheesecake.
2. The people: I think it's safe to say that I have a wide variety of social acquaintances, and my date for the evening pretty much makes a living by knowing lots of people. We found ourselves in conversations about everything from the perils of historical research to the joys of mid-life romance. I didn't realize that so many of my friends were River Museum volunteers; it was so nice to chat with some ladies I hadn't seen in ages!
3. The antiques: They were, of course, exquisite. There seemed to be a lot of Rose Medallion pieces for sales, including a couple of stunning punch bowls. There were two foxhunting prints that I really liked. In one of them a woman in a green habit, riding side-saddle, was looking back with disdain at a fellow who had just come off his steed. The other was a post-hunt scene, and an exhausted-looking male rider was mopping his brow; the woman still looked perfectly fresh and mud-free. Perhaps the most unusual piece was an Italian cross-bow with beautiful inlay work; I can't say I've ever seen a cross-bow at an antiques show before.
Add in a warm evening, cold beverages, amazing flowers (done by the volunteers!) and an exquisite setting -- What do you think? Have I made my case?

No comments:

Post a Comment