Sunday, June 2, 2013

A New Deacon

My dear friend Doug, a long-time member of St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, told me that on Saturday, June 1, his fellow parishioner Jim Elliott, of Kennett Square, was ordained as a Deacon after six years of intensive study. As a Deacon (from the Greek word for "servant"), he can now proclaim the Gospel, baptize, and conduct funeral services.
Doug writes: "As I sat as a participant in the liturgy I realized that the Mass was created in a way to exalt every human sense. I was in awe seeing the beauty of the cathedral’s architectural details and the patina of the stained glass, hearing the booming basilica choir with organ and orchestra, the woodsy smell of the burning frankincense, a touch from the person next to me offering a sign of peace, and finally the taste of the Eucharist."
The ceremony was conducted by Archbishop Charles Chaput at the Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul in Philadelphia. Doug adds: "As with most every solemn event today, the congregation was interrupted with a very loud cell phone playing, “Take Me Out to the Ball Game”.  I only hope it was from a Phillies fan."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment