Saturday, August 17, 2013

His lordship

I love it when I discover that my friends have completely unexpected skills and  interests.
You may know that when I am not pestering friends and family for Tilda items, I edit academic books. Well, the other day I received a surprising request from a publisher:
"I am looking for copyeditors who have experience copyediting romance novels. Most of these books are set in the past in England or Scotland. An understanding of English nobility titles, their hierarchy, and the inheritance of those titles and associated property is important. The editorial style is the Chicago Manual of Style."
Amused -- and totally unqualified except for what I know from "Downton Abbey" and Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries -- I posted the email on my Facebook page.
What a response from my friends!
Two lawyer pals enthusiastically offered their services, adding, "Maybe those courses in law school about livery of seisin and degrees of consanguinity will finally come in handy!" and  "I love romance novels. Might have a slight problem as I've never heard of the Chicago Manual of Style, but I've got the inheritance and property rights covered."
A friend with a newly minted B.A. in history and English said he'd be sending in his resume.
Another pal, whose work attire runs more to steel-toed boots than to tight bodices, added, "I have to admit [romance novels] were my guilty pleasure after always slogging through engineering text books!"
You just never know...

No comments:

Post a Comment