Friday, September 20, 2013

Open carry

At the Longwood Starbucks this afternoon, I noticed a Pennsylvania State Trooper two people behind me in line. He was in his gray-and-black uniform, with his regulation Taser, communications equipment and holstered firearm in his belt. Coincidentally, when I got home I spotted a newspaper article saying that Starbucks is asking people not to bring guns into their stores.
Does this mean that police officers should leave their guns in the car?
No. I found the full letter from Howard Schultz, the chairman, president and CEO of Starbucks Coffee Company, and he makes a point of saying that the request doesn't apply to "authorized law enforcement personnel." But, he says, "The presence of a weapon in our stores is unsettling and upsetting for many of our customers."

No comments:

Post a Comment