Sunday, October 13, 2013

Country roads

In last week's column I wrote about how the West Marlborough Township supervisors are trying to discourage motorists from making the 90-degree turn from southbound Newark Road onto Route 926 at London Grove village. Instead, they want drivers to take the little cut-off (on the east side of the old blacksmith's shop) and stop at the stop sign.
I heard from one reader who hopes the supervisors rethink their position. Here's her argument:
"I’m one of the people who turn left directly onto Rt. 926, but not because I’m impatient or in a hurry ... After too many falls from horses, it’s really hard for me to turn my head to look over my right shoulder to see if someone is coming from that direction. Also, the sightline to the left is often obscured by cars parked in front of the London Grove Apartments, and with traffic approaching the stop sign way too quickly for my liking, I’ve barely escaped being hit from the left many, many times."
"I’ve been told by people who have lived near the village longer than me that the reason not to make the 90-degree turn is that one used to be in danger of being rear-ended by fast-moving trucks, but since the stop signs were erected on Newark Rd. (yay!), that danger has pretty much passed."

 
In other "country roads" news, I was lucky enough to attend a (fabulous!) party this past weekend on Frog Hollow Road and had to take a lengthy detour to get there (up Route 82, a right at Ercildoun, a right onto Strasburg Road, then a right on Frog Hollow) because the covered bridge over the Buck Run is still closed at the East Fallowfield/West Marlborough border. It was a nuisance just doing it once; what a daily hassle and waste of gasoline, time and money it must be for those residents!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment