Thursday, October 17, 2013

The key to great customer service

Stephanie Anderson of Kennett Square shared this sweet story about how Officer Johnathan Ortiz of the Kennett Square Police Department saved the day for her on Monday, Oct. 14:
"I am the mom of 2 girls, ages 5 and 2.5. My oldest daughter was off from school, but my youngest still had preschool in West Chester. Not only was it Monday, but we had also scheduled to have our carpets cleaned that day. So, in the midst of kid chaos and carpet cleaning, it occurs to me that I cannot find my keys. I check the usual places, and decide to glance in the car. Where I find my purse sitting in the front seat. The purse that contains my keys.
[Insert FACEPALM here.]
I frantically call my husband, who is a teacher in West Chester. He is unable to help, as he could not get leave from school. I then call a locksmith, who said they could send someone within 30 minutes. Although I was not happy to pay that kind of money, I needed to get my daughter to school. Shortly after, the locksmith calls back to say they cannot send someone for several hours.
I am getting more desperate, and under the advisement of my husband, I attempt to stick a wire hanger in the car myself. You can imagine this had a 0% success rate.
I decided to text my brother-in-law, who is a police officer outside of the city. He was sympathetic, and said he would normally come help but his kit was in his bag at work. I asked if he thought it would be bad to call the Kennett Borough PD. He said it was worth a try (because not every police department is willing to conduct these services).
I call the dispatcher and (sheepishly and apologetically) explain my predicament. She said she would contact an officer, and someone would call me back to let me know if they could help. I never got a call, as moments later a police cruiser pulled up to the front of my house.
An officer steps out of the car to assess the situation. He is all smiles and did not once openly poke fun at my idiocy. I signed a waiver and Officer Ortiz got to work. While chatting congenially, he adeptly used his kit to quickly unlock my car. I rescued my keys and thanked him profusely.
Officer Ortiz truly saved my day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment