Friday, November 22, 2013

My 15 minutes

So now I guess I can add "model" to my resume! My trainer asked me if I'd demonstrate some Pilates moves for a workshop she was giving at the Jennersville Y, and I cheerfully agreed. Obviously she selected me for my "everywoman" body rather than asking one of the incredibly flexible teenage girls we have in class.
Modeling was fun and challenging. While I was demonstrating each move, the instructor would go around my body pointing out to the audience what I was doing right (back straight, legs straight, body stretched out, hands under shoulders for pushups), so I had to make sure that every detail of my form was perfect. No slacking off or breaks!
Doing it "wrong" was fun, too. To illustrate bad form, she asked me to deliberately plunk down from a crunch instead of inching down vertebra by vertebra. And once I got to let my stomach sag down and then pull it in to demonstrate how important our "powerhouse" abdominal muscles are.
I got a good workout -- and I hope I inspired some of the folks in the audience to try this excellent form of exercise.

1 comment: