Saturday, November 23, 2013

We need more like him

We knew he'd retire sooner rather than later, but every election cycle that he didn't, I for one breathed a sigh of relief.
Well, the time has come: as doubtless you'll read elsewhere in this week's Kennett Paper, State Rep. Chris Ross has announced that he will not run for reelection when his term ends next year.
I've known Chris for 20 years, not only as my state representative but as a valued friend and neighbor, and if we had more people like him in government the world would be in much better shape. In the toxic atmosphere of political extremism that pollutes Harrisburg as well as Washington, Chris has kept to a moderate, thoughtful, reasonable, sensible, ethical course. I haven't always agreed with him, but more often than not, when I'll ask him about his vote (the poor man; he probably dreads seeing me at parties), his well-reasoned explanation makes sense and touches on broader ramifications I hadn't even considered.
Unlike so many ego-crazed politicians, Chris is always friendly, down-to-earth and approachable and is such a good sport about taking part in community events and parades. His appeal crosses partisan lines, and how refreshing is that kind of unity! When I posted on Facebook the news about his forthcoming retirement, the response was sad and swift from friends far left and far right on the political spectrum.
Whoever replaces him has some big shoes to fill (metaphorically speaking). Thanks for your unselfish, truly public service, Chris; and happy retirement!

No comments:

Post a Comment