Friday, September 18, 2015

BAD BEHAVIOR: I couldn't believe what I was seeing

In the past few days I've witnessed two incidents of bad behavior.
We were coming out of a local restaurant after dinner on Wednesday night, and a young couple followed shortly after us. They got to their car, and the woman walked around to the front of it and squatted down.
I couldn't believe what I was seeing and tried to craft an alternative explanation other than the obvious: Perhaps she was checking a headlight. Perhaps there was a clump of mud on the grille.
Nope. She stood up, pulled up her pants and got into the car. The man with her wasn't fazed at all.
Now, we've all had emergency situations where you need to improvise. But this wasn't one of them.
They didn't appear impaired in any way. She showed no signs of urgency, distress or pregnancy. The restaurant's bathrooms were functional and there wasn't a line.
Why would you relieve yourself in a brightly lit parking lot, mere feet from Route 1, rather than using the restaurant's bathroom? WHY?
I'm told that three friends spent most of their Saturday brunch discussing this crazy story. I feel sorry for the people at the table next to them, as I know how raucous they can get! And another friend told me that on Saturday she saw parents instructing their daughter to relieve herself -- right next to a Porta-Potty. Again: WHY?
And here is the second incident of bad public behavior. Today I was walking into one of our local grocery stores and a woman came out carrying a bunch of red roses. How sweet, I thought.
Nope again. In the cart lobby a fellow shopper told me she'd seen the woman walk into the store, grab the flowers and walk out without paying.
"Oh my gosh!" I exclaimed, and hurried back out to the parking lot to have words with her. She had disappeared, fortunately for her. I mean, not only is stealing wrong, but it raises the prices for the rest of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment