Thursday, November 26, 2015

BUCKS COUNTY: A short road trip for dinner


I went to a wonderful Thanksgiving feast up in Perkasie, with ample food, three little kids and two large dogs. The host is a marvelous gardener; in fact, his backyard garden is big enough that I could plainly see an aerial view of it on Google Maps. He grows his hardy crops in a plastic-covered tent with heat lamps, so the Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and coleslaw on the table came straight from the garden.

Ron's sheltered garden, where hardy crops like cabbage can overwinter.

Milk in old-fashioned glass bottles from Pennview Farms.

Another highlight was the milk, which came in old-fashioned returnable glass bottles from Pennview Farms in Perkasie. The chocolate milk was so thick it was like drinking a milkshake.
This wasn't my biological family, so a lot of the family members were new to me. I come from a small family, so trying to sort out siblings, cousins, nephews and companions was quite a challenge. I got absolutely nowhere asking my date to identify everyone around the table (he is SO not a reporter!), so I just gave up and thanked everybody for their extraordinary hospitality.
I had a great time driving to Perkasie. Because of an accident on the Northeast Extension, my GPS (my new best friend!) rerouted me through Worcester and Hatfield. Bucks County has a lot of highways that end in the number "63," and I think I was on all of them, in addition to a short stint on "Unionville Pike" (that was a surprise).
On Bustard Road I passed a Century Farm owned by, of course, the Bustard family. I also saw some entertaining signs: a barn that promises "A Spiritual Walk With a Horse"; "Mrs. Benner's Homemade Slap Jack Candy"; "Good Time Rentals" (offering a winter discount); "The Rockhill Filling Station" (a restaurant; get it?); and a lounge billing a special holiday performance by "Bobby Himself"!
I enjoyed the slow-lane trip so much that I was actually sorry when the GPS directed me onto Route 309 for a while. On the way home, though, after sundown, I just got onto the Pennsylvania Turnpike at Sumneytown Pike and cruised nonstop all the way to Coatesville.

No comments:

Post a Comment