Saturday, November 28, 2015

OLEN GRIMES: Let's help out a really nice guy

Odds are really good that you know Olen Grimes. He's a pillar in the downtown Kennett Square business community, a super-friendly, high-energy guy who owns the ArtWorks gallery and its Union Street neighbor, the My Polished nail salon.
Olen was in a bad car accident on Nov. 11 and broke his left hip, leg, ankle and foot. He's going to need multiple surgeries and an extended period of physical therapy. Besides the health implications, this is catastrophic news for someone who's a small business owner.
We pride ourselves on our close-knit community and how we pitch in to help others in trouble. Here's your turn to join me in walking the walk. Support Olen's businesses while he's out of commission, and donate to the online GoFundMe account that his fellow Rotarian Matt Grieco has set up to help Olen and his family with their medical bills and lost income. (As I'm writing this, 33 people have donated in the four days the site has been active.)
I miss seeing Olen at My Polished, which is where I get my nails done. He pops in, sits down in a pedicure chair for split second to talk to me (usually town politics, or what I think of his latest improvement to the shop), then jumps up to answer the phone or ring up a customer before rushing back down the street to his gallery.

Olen Grimes at his ArtWorks Gallery on Union Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment